Tips on Time Management
Tips for Encouraging Time Management
Time Management is the act of using time efficiently – easier said than done! How can we help our children (and ourselves) develop and utilize a time management system/strategy that is actually successful in the short and long term?
- Be as organized as possible.
- Focus on one organizational issue and let others rest while you gain control in this one area.
- Make lists, and use a device such as a smart phone to help you manage the lists.
- Color-code files, folders, calendars, lists or whatever needs differing attention.
- Plan ahead as best you can.
- Use a calendar system. When you receive a deadline for a job, task or assignment, document the due date and work backwards in order to break the task into manageable chunks.
- Find the calendar system that best suits your brain.
- Block style calendar with space to jot down events of the day
- Hour-by-hour style calendar with color-coded events throughout the day
- Combination style listing daily To-Do’s along with plans for the week or month
- Prioritize your tasks.
- Avoid over-planning.
- Estimate the time it will take to accomplish each task.
- Note how long a task actually took to become “in-touch” with time.
- Use technology as an organizational prosthetic.
- Use a smart phone to create lists, access and set calendar dates, create deadlines, get directions, send email/text reminders to self, etc.
- A dedicated laptop or iPad for school/home/work can also create a holding environment for documents, numbers, reminders, calendar, etc.
- Technology today has become very user-friendly, and you can find an app. that provides a solution for just about any problem.