Although all colleges and universities offer services for students with a disability (LD and ADHD among others), an Individual Education Plan is valid only from Kindergarten through grade 12. After high school, students are covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (ADA and 504) at the post-secondary educational setting.

The good news is that students who did not qualify for support in high school may be eligible for assistance in college. The bad news is that the student must seek the assistance themselves, and they may need another evaluation using adult norms. Certainly, the IEP has valuable information regarding the supports that were helpful for the student in the past and will be useful in planning to be successful at the next level.

Join us on Thursday evening November 29. 2018 to learn more about “Pathways to College Admissions for Students with ADHD/LD.” You and your high school student will learn where to get information about what the community college/university requires in order to obtain support services. Learn what questions to ask when visiting the college/university. What are the different types of programs available at various institutions? In addition, Ms. Tracy Mueller, Director of Project EXCEL at Mount St. Joseph University, will join us to discuss the specialized support program at the Mount, one of three in the state of Ohio!

Click here for more information and to register.

Blogger Mary Ann Mulcahey, PhD, shares her expertise in assessment and diagnosis of learning disabilities and ADHD, and the social/emotional adjustment to those issues. If you have questions, please contact Dr. Mulcahey at mmulcahey@springer-ld.org.

Leave a Comment